Translate

Wednesday, November 05, 2014

First Stop: Escalante (more re-cap)

What does it take to run away from it all? Is “dropping out” a luxury reserved only for beatniks, bums, and the independently wealthy? In spite of our non-trust fund status, we decided to find a way to make it work. A fellow river guide and former VW resident used to freely pronounce his formula for financial independence: “Cut costs, increase income!” Well, walking away from my square job certainly went the wrong direction in this respect! But taking on a full river season certainly had the potential to fill the coffers with cash tips, and Western was, as always, really great to find room in the launch schedule for an aging has-been river guide. They even offered Melissa a couple trips to boot!









So, increasing income was something we could pull off for a few months, but how to cut costs? Well, why not rent out our house and go homeless during the river season? Sounds like super responsible parenting, right? Actually, the kismet of the plan was that Melissa has always dreamed of moving to the Liston family farm house in Escalante, which tends to sit vacant most of the year anyway. So, with my profoundly kind in-laws allowing us to move into the home, we managed to hit a small flock of birds with one stone: a little rental income from our Sugarhouse home, greatly reduced housing costs in Escalante, a far shorter commute to Grand Canyon, and a dream come true in the country for Melissa. Costs cut? Check.

On 8 June 2014, we moved the last of our stuff out of our beloved home on Elm Avenue, only a few days after Harper and Norah ended their school year and joined the freakish ranks of the home-schooled. Notwithstanding the move out of town, our hearts remained very much with our dear friends in the neighborhood and congregation. My folks were also very kind to help us move our stuff south, since I had to rig a trip the next day and wouldn't be any help to Melissa. In fact, this theme of not being much help around the farm became my hallmark for the next four months, as I spent most of my time away from home and family working in The Ditch. It was awful being away from Melissa and the girls, but the season was plenty fun, lucrative, and, fortunately, injury-free. With the season now behind us, I get to cash in and spend lots of time with my people!


I will yield and allow Melissa to chime in here about their time in Escalante this summer if she wants, because it was a great experience for both her and the girls. Having been away so much, I'm not exactly sure how they spent every minute, but I do know that there were many fun excursions in the desert, child prodigy bicycle mastery, harrowing adventures with cows and chickens, and Melissa's corn ended up higher than any other garden in town. Not bad for a city-slicker! One thing I can say from my experience in Escalante this summer is that I couldn't have imagined living in a more friendly town and around such kind and welcoming neighbors. It was really comforting to know how loved and cared for Melissa and the girls were while I was away from them. Thanks, Escalante!

No comments: